If you are overweight, you are not alone. Excess weight, especially belly fat , can put you at risk. Those who have grown fat on the waist are at greater risk of developing health problems than those who have grown fat on other parts of the body. Gut fat more often affects men than women. This fat increases the risk of:
- Heart disease
- Some forms of cancer
- Type 2 diabetes
- Immunity to insulin
- High Triglycerides
- Low levels of cholesterol
- Metabolic syndrome
- Sleep disorders (apnea)
How to identify excess fat around the stomach?
The size of your waistline is a good indicator of whether you have excess fat around the waist. Measurements that compare the scale of the hips and waist, height and weight, or the size of the waist, can give good estimate. For most men, a risk factor for heart and other diseases increases if their waist is greater than 102 centimeters.
To measure your waist:
– Put the measuring tape around bare belly, just above the hips
– Do not squeeze the tape on the skin
– Make sure that the measuring tape is at same height around the entire stomach
– Relax, exhale and measure the waist – Do not draw in your stomach!
As we age we lose muscles – especially if you are not physically active. Loss of muscles may be delayed if the body starts to burn calories. So if you do not limit the insertion amount of calories or if you increase physical activity, we begin to get chubbier.
Our genes can affect whether or not we are overweight. For most men, however, the problem is linked to lifestyle and is not inherited. And excessive consumption of alcoholic beverages may act to pile fat around the waist or etc. beer belly. But beer is not the only malefactor. Fat can be obtained by consumption of any alcoholic beverage.
How to get rid of belly fat?
Whether or not you want to get rid of fat around the abdomen or from any other body part, the basics are the same:
– Reduce calories. Reduce portion sizes. Replace the usual healthy foods with ones that have fewer calories.
– Increase physical activity. Adults are advised two and a half hours of moderate physical activity per day or hour and a half of intense physical activity by adding strength training. You may need longer exercise, for you to lose and keep weight. After removal of excess weight, maintain your weight with a healthy diet and regular physical activity. Abdominal exercises strengthen muscles, but only with them you will not reduce fat around the abdomen. The best way to reduce waist perimeter is to reduce the total quantity of imported fat through healthy eating and exercise.