Anyone who has once had a small mouth ulcer knows that misery can be greater than expected. And then everything that matters is how to cure them.
Lips sores and ulcers are the most common mucosal wounds from witch large number of people are suffering. Most of those acute wounds are very painful, but they are limited only in a particular place. They usually are gone after seven to ten days. Painful sores and ulcers in the mouth are obtained from dirt and infection.
What are the most common causes of wounds and sores in the mouth?
- Deficiency of vitamin B-complex;
- Iron deficiency;
- Lack of vitamin C;
Symptoms of canker sores in the mouth:
- Ulcers on the lining of the cheeks or the sides of the tongue
- Pain and bleeding
- Difficulties in chewing and swallowing
- Bad breath (halitosis)
- Swelling of the tongue (glossitis)
- Ulcers in the bottom of the oral cavity
- Dental infections.
Treatment of oral ulcers
The first thing doctors do is locate the sore. Painful ulcers are very common, but those who don’t hurt are very dangerous. If the patient had an ulcer for more than 3 weeks may impose biopsy, so it is very important to determinate the reasons for the existence of these “silent” ulcers. Painful ulcers can be treated with: Vitamin B complex, applying gels and ointments and application of topical corticosteroid.
Some other treatments and measures are taken depending on the cause of ulcer: Correction cumbersome braces, additives in iron, vitamin C, lotions against fungi such as clotrimazole, antiviral medication for ulcers caused by herpes and antibiotics for bacterial infections.
Symptoms of other diseases include:
- Viral infections such as herpes simplex and varicella simplex.
- Coxsackie virus or HIV infection.
- Bacterial infections such as acute necrotizing ulcerative gingivitis and syphilis.
- Fungal infections such as candida or tuberculosis.
- Skin diseases.
- Recurring ulcers.
- Squamous cell cancer, leukemia or lymphoma. The risk increases if the person is a smoker or an alcoholic.
It is important to know that the chronically ill ulcers are justified concern. Not so painful ulcers are same as those that require immediate attention at the moment you’ve noticed them. They have to be biopsied immediately because of the hidden risk of malignant consequences.
- Genital ulcers;
- Redness of the eye;
- Skin lesions;
- Intestinal problems;
Our personal best:
- Treat ulcers with cranberry juice. It takes one daily rinsing the mouth to feel relief. Cranberries have a relaxing effect and restore the mucous membrane of the oral cavity.
- 3 tbsp. dried sage sunken in 1dl water is also very helpful. Sage tea has a beneficial effect, especially if you mix it with 1 tsp. marigold.
- Lemon juice, baking soda and propolis, will certainly ease the ulcers. Mix 1 tablespoon of baking soda in 1,5 dl water and rinse your mouth with this liquid.
- Hydrated potassium-aluminum sulfate. This crystal can be found in pharmacies in powder form. Mix it with water to obtain a thick paste. Leave the backpack for about 15 minutes, and then rinse with water. You should apply it in every three hours to prevent the growth and spread of ulcers. This treatment is done before meals to ease the pain that food could provoke in touch with ulcers. This way you will protect your mouth from spreading bacteria and further to ensure hygiene of the teeth.
- This Indian lilacs is used as a treatment for several problems including infections in the oral cavity. With boiled tea from the leaves of this herb rinse your mouth before and after meals. If you can find fresh leaves, although they have a slightly bitter taste, it is best to chew them to prevent the spread of infection.
- Preventing infection in the mouth can be achieved by chewing the leaves of basil, or to rinse your mouth with tea of basil.
- Soak a cotton swab in onion juice and apply it on your ulcers. Onions have anti-inflammatory properties.
- Used tea bags previously frozen can soothe the pain immediately.
- Plum juice. Active ingredients that plums contain are proved as successful in treating infections in the mouth. Use only freshly squeezed juice from domestic plums.