Carrol Krause, ex reporter for the Herald-Times of Bloomington, was diagnosed ovarium cancer in 2014. Before she passed away, she wrote a blog called ‘Stories by Carrol’ highlighting the best and the worst of her last days.
Few months before her death she started having digestive issues and she could no longer eat any normal food. The meal that the hospital workers brought to her as a meal replacement shocked her.
“Hospice had the very best of intentions, but the stuff they sent over was not real Food. In fact, I’m outraged at the idea that they are giving this stuff to dying people.”
This included a bag full of products by Ensure: shakes, pudding and drinks that act as if they were apple juices.
All of them are full of chemicals with concrete nutritional value as most commercial junk food. Are these drinks intended to be the nutritional lifeline for people who are very sick?
Abbott Nutrition owns Ensure, one of the most horrible examples of a Big Food corporation. The company has deep links to the medical industry and you can find their products in every hospital nowadays. This is very bad news for millions of patients who are trying to get healthier.
Ensure Clear contains no apple juice; instead the two main ingredients are sugar and water.
It also contains the following:
- Dl-alpha-tocopherol acetate – synthetic kind of Vitamin E, associated with an increased risk of hemorrhagic stroke and additional adverse effects.
- Ferrous sulfate – synthetic form of iron. Causes constipation, allergic reactions, nausea and gastrointestinal issues.
- Niacinamide is a synthetic form of vitamin B3 and its list of side effects includes a few dozen of conditions, including liver failure.
- Manganese sulfate is made “from the reaction between manganese oxide and sulfuric acid”; and is often is used in paints and varnishes, fertilizers and fungicides, and ceramic.
- Calcium Pantothenate is a synthetic substance made from pantothenic acid; trying to mimic natural vitamin B5.
- Vitamin A Palmitate is a synthetic form of vitamin A, which like many others above can cause liver damage and stomach issues.
- Zinc Sulfate is in organic form of zinc, and can be toxic to cells, as well as dangerous to the environment.
- Sodium molybdate is a chemical form of sodium that has negative effects on fertility in animals.
- Corn Syrup Solids are made of dehydrated corn syrup, which is 100% glucose, a type of sugar that adds to the risk of obesity.
- Cupric sulfate is actually a fungicide and pesticide, that is toxic; and it can cause gastrointestinal issues and anemia, even death at high doses.
- Chromium chloride is toxic and has negative effects on the reproductive system for both men and women.
- Sodium Selenite is a toxic ingredient produced as a byproduct of copper metal refining.
The vitamins in Ensure products and other commercialized “health” foods and supplements are almost always synthetic, manufactured with chemicals. Generally speaking, when a new study comes out that claims that some vitamin is toxic at high levels, it is because; only the synthetic version of is studied, yet it endures together with natural vitamins.
The body does not absorb the synthetics in the same way as natural vitamins, because they are “isolated”; divided from the entire vitamin complex, trace minerals and enzymes. When a synthetic vitamin is lacking, the body tries to make up for by itself, and drains its existing nutrients in the process, explained by Organic Consumers.
Many people are not realizing that Ensure and similar drinks, can be very dangerous to a people’s health.
So Krause wrote:
“Maybe someone who spends their life eating at fast-food joints wouldn’t object to eating Ensure products, but I do, because I know the difference between real food and fake food…
“I wouldn’t feed this stuff to a dying animal, let alone a dying human being. If you agree, let the hospital management know. Or snipe at them via social media until they begin to pay attention. I think it’s time for a food fight!”