It is widely known that medications are causing many side-effects on and inside the body. They particularly can do harm to the kidneys, which are the most vital body organs. To this group belongs long list of medications, but here we present you top ten that can cause greatest damage.
The top ten prescription drugs that can damage the kidneys the most are:
- Antibiotics, including vancomycin, ciprofloxacin, methicillin, and sulfonamides.
- Analgesics, such as acetaminophen and non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAID); aspirin, ibuprofen, naproxen, and many others that people can get only by prescription.
- COX-2 inhibitors, as celecoxib is, popular under its brand name Celebrex. Two drugs from this group of drugs had been withdrawn from the market because of the fact that they are been proven to be cardiovascular-toxic. These two include valdecoxib (known under the brand name Bextra), and rofecoxib (also known under the brand name Vioxx). These drugs represent a special class of the group of NSAIDs. They were invented in order to be much safer for the stomach, but they still cause kidney damage as the other NSAIDs do.
- Heartburn medications of the proton pump inhibitor class. More or less these medications are lansoprasole (also known under the brand name Protonix); rabeprazol (known under the brand names Rabcid and Aciphex); omeprazole (known as Prilosec), pantoprazole (also known as Protonix) and esomeprazole (known as Esotrex, Nexium).
- Antiviral drugs, such as acyclovir (also known under the brand name Zovirax) which is used for treating herpes infections, and tenofivir and indinavir used for treating HIV.
- Medication for treating hypertension, like captopril (known under its brand name Capoten).
- Rheumatoid arthritis medications, like infliximab (popular under its brand name Remicade); chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine.
- Lithium, a sedative used for treating bipolar disorder.
- Anticonvulsants, like phenytoin (also known under its brand name Dilantin) and trimethadione (known as Tridione), medications used for treating seizures and many other conditions.
- Chemotherapy drugs, such as cisplatin, pamidronate, interferons, quinine, carboplatin, tacrolimus, cyclosporine, mitomyciin C; along with some anti-thyroid drugs, such as propylthiouracil, for the treatment of overactive thyroid.